Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Watercolor Demonstration-White Blossoms Ukiyo-e Drawing-Step1


I decided to challenge myself, and create a Watercolor Demonstration and post it as it was in progress instead of completing the whole thing first and then posting it.

Read my post Ukiyo-e to get some idea of what style I am trying to emulate here. I'm not doing a limited edition of prints, but only one watercolor in that style.

The process for step 1 is to select a subject as I have done, this is a drawing from one of my photos of spring blossoms that I thought would make a good watercolor painting.

For this I used a Black Pigma Micron 005 pen on tracing paper.


The purpose is to tape this to my light box, and then to tape the watercolor paper on top. The black lines will show through the paper when the box is turned on, and you can create your drawing much quicker, and you can change anything that you want easily.

The drawing looks very complicated because many of the lines define shadows, and these will give me a guideline as to the boundaries of the shadows which can be changed as you wish when you start painting.

So the next step will be to complete the initial drawing on watercolor paper and begin painting.

Stay Tuned




2 comments:

  1. This a really well planned and drawn--it'll be fascintaig to see it's progression...Winna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Winna, you are very kind.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe For Updates

Related Posts with Thumbnails